The Samsung Galaxy S4 was the flagship of Samsung in the year 2013 and it was last updated to Android 5.0 Lollipop in 2015. This was the last official update for the device. In this post we will post the comprehensive steps on how to update Samsung Galaxy S4 to Android 6.0 Marshmallow. As the Marshmallow is a considerable update over lollipop, it has various features like improved battery life through doze mode, improved security and many more.
A. Important Steps before starting process to update device –
To perform an optimum upgrade of device, do remember to follow each step and the pre requisites to upgrade.
- Install the relevant Samsung USB drivers for the device.
- The update process will work on Rooted Samsung Galaxy S4 devices only.
- Do remember to charge the device up to 80 percent battery level, to prevent the device from being temporarily bricked, if the update process stops mid way.
- The Custom ROM is for Samsung Galaxy S4 devices with Model Number – GT-I9505 LTE variants.
- Do Not attempt the recovery flash on devices with different Model Number or the device may get bricked.
- Make sure to back up device as the update process may lead to data loss/wipe.
- Make sure to backup EFS and Device to be able to revert back to original OS in case of any error in update process.
- Use Titanium Backup Pro or TWRP Recovery to back up device.
- Installation of Custom ROMs may void warranty or harm device performance.
- Perform the process only if you are familiar with rooting and flashing.
B. Step by Step guide on How to update Samsung Galaxy S4 to Android 6.0 Marshmallow –
- Download Samsung Galaxy S4 custom ROM by crdroid from – here.
- Download Google Apps from for Android 6.0 from – here.
- Google Apps Stock package for Android ARM 6.0 recommended.
- Place both the zip files in the Device Internal memory or External SD Card via PC or micro-SD transfer.
- Turn off the device and reboot in Recovery Mode – Press Volume Up + Power + Home buttons simultaneously.
- Enter the Recovery Mode use Volume Up and Volume Down buttons to navigate, Power to select the highlighted options.
- Select Wipe Date/Factory Reset. Wipe Data, Cache, Wipe Cache Partition, Advanced – Dalvik Cache.
- After Data wipe, Select – ”Install Zip from SD Card” in Recovery Mode.
- Select Choose zip from SD Card – Navigate to location of Custom ROM.
- Select Custom ROM and Install.
- After successful install of custom ROM, select Google Apps package from SD Card and Install.
- After successful install of Google Apps package, select – Go Back option – Select Reboot System now from Recovery menu.
- The Samsung Galaxy S4 will now boot in Android 6.0 Marshmallow. Go to Settings – About Phone to check Android version of the device.